Monday, September 26, 2005

Sorry about That, Chief

I'm on a brief posting hiatus but can't let this go unremarked. First Gilligan, now Agent 86. Television is a funny thing. I'm 37 years old and could be these guys' grandchild. Yet it's just as if I've lost two of my dearest childhood friends. Gilligan and Max used to keep my brothers and I company during the doldrums -- Dad getting home from work, Mom cooking dinner, friends at their respective homes doing the same -- that ocurred about 5:00-6:30 each evening. And, of course, there were no other choices. You got about 5 channels, maybe 6 if you were lucky. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and the local station that had the strange local kids-show guy on directly after Captain Kangaroo (where I grew up, it was Captain Chesapeake on Channel 45 WBFF). And having no choice was just fine. I suppose I'll really see what I'm made of when the first of the Brady kids shuffles off . . .