Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Compromise

How do I feel about this? Well, in my experience, when Harry Reid crows of "a victory for democracy," you can be pretty sure it is not. As I've suggested before, the Democratic Party has, not to put too fine a point on it, fuck all to do with democracy. I suppose, though, it is a good thing that we will now get Owen, Pryor, and Rogers-Brown confirmed. Still, the idea of legitimizing the filibuster as a tactical weapon in the confirmation context, which this agreement unquestionably does annoys me to the very core. Why our leadership insist on being reasonable with those who are manifestly faithless (and I mean that not in a spiritual sense) is beyond me. Mark my words -- this deal we'll be shattered with a Democratic interpretation of 'extraordinary' that more than strains credulity. Soon, we'll be right back where we were, though this unfortunate precedent will then stand as an additional obstacle to the President's exercise of constitutional perogative. Peace in our time, eh, guys? We've heard that one before . . .