Friday, June 03, 2005

The Federal Elections Commission

Everyone in the blogosphere appears very concerned over what the FEC may do in terms of regulating the political speech of bloggers. I'm not. Last time I checked, the First Amendment was still in place and if the clause "Congress shall make no law respecting the freedom of speech" protects Piss Christ, I'm reasonably confident that it will protect my written word.

Regardless of what the FEC does, I don't intend to alter my behavior one iota. I also don't intend to provide any comment on the FEC's public rule-making. To do so would, in my view, lend an air of legitimacy to a process that lies so very far beyond the pale. By my lights, the time has come to put a stop to the nonsense of regulating political speech. We will get there not by playing games with over-reaching regulatory agencies, but by simply ignoring their ill-fated regulations wholesale. Are you listening, McCain -- you, who endured unspeakable suffering on freedom's behalf, should be ashamed of the freedom-trampling constitutional abomination that bears your name.



Bonus: Talk about dignifying the process. This goes overboard. But then, I shouldn't be surprised. Atrios (he of the mayonnaise spoon) and Daily "Screw Them" Kos have dignified things far worse than a mere intolerable encroachment upon sacred liberty . . .