Friday, December 02, 2005

Let There Be Songs . . .

After apparently receiving some clarification from McNally and GDP, the Internet Archive will again permit Grateful Dead downloads. Things won't go back to the way they were, though. The Boards aren't coming back. This neither surprises nor saddens me. The Boards are, after all, in direct competition with the Dead's sole remaining source of revenue (I say "sole" because at least one dunderhead can't seem to get far enough past his ego to actually make new music with the band). However, the audience stuff that the TaperHeads produced -- including the superior FOB stuff (e.g., Oade, Connor, etc.) -- will again be available for download (as opposed to mere streaming) at Archive.org.

More: Hmm. Things may be even better. It looks like the Boards have been returned, though only in streaming format. So, we can either download the audience tapes or stream the boards. If this is the result, it is the perfect solution. Concerning the Dead's worry that the availability of Boards for download was cutting into iTunes downloads of its digital releases, I don't think there can be any doubt about that. I know I passed them up for the Archive boards. Today, however, to show my gratitude for the boys' decision, I'll pick up a Download Series show. I recommend March 27, 1988 at the Hampton Coliseum. This one smokes from front to end and features a delightful SoWhat>SugarMag>Scarlet>Fire to open the second set (Yes, that Miles Davis's So What -- they gave it a little bit of a whirl).