Sunday, August 07, 2005

Emboldened by Success

The grievance mongers at CAIR, still heady with the success of getting WMAL's Michael Graham suspended from the airwaves, have now targeted Geoff Metcalf for remarks made during his substitution for Graham on Friday, July 29.

CAIR is upset that Geoff told the truth. During discussion of the recently issued fatwa against terror Metcalf noted:
"And by the way, let me just add a sidebar here that's significant, and everybody forgets this, but according to the Quran, believers in Islam are not required to tell infidels, and that's us, the truth. So they apparently have permission to lie when it is appropriate."
I listened to Geoff's show. Let me say that I was unhappy with Geoff for the very cavilier (and slightly condescending) manner in which he shrugged off Graham's suspension as, and I'm paraphrasing here, "one of those things that happens in radio -- you take your medicine and then you forget about it and move on." Metcalf praised the fatwa (although he did, as we all do, wonder alound as to why it had taken so long), not even referring to the well-founded view that it was vacuous at best.

Will WMAL cave into CAIR again? I doubt it. I think WMAL has well learned its lesson. Its listeners were, shall we say, a wee bit peeved with the station in the wake of the Graham suspension.